This is a very refreshing, beautiful summer drink. It is fun to keep this simple syrup in your refrigerator to make spritzers all week. The deep red and purple color and elderberry flavor transform a little glass of sparkling water into a festive and special drink. This can also be made with blueberries if you don’t have elderberries. It is an incredibly lovely drink to have on a hot day!
Elderberry Spritzer (non-alcoholic)
Recipe makes 10 to 12 servings. Total time 25 minutes, including cooling time. Active time 10 minutes.
- 1 liter unflavored sparkling water
- ½ cup fresh elderberries, washed and de-stemmed (only use the berris)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- In a medium saucepan, combine the elderberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Use a spoon to mash the elderberries against the sides of the saucepan. When the sugar is dissolved and liquid is dark red or purple, turn off the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a heat-proof container. Discard the solids. Cover the syrup and refrigerate to cool.
- Fill drinking glasses with ice, add ¼ cup syrup to each glass, and pour sparkling water over the top to fill each glass. Squeeze a lemon wedge into each glass and enjoy.
Recipe first featured on Ranch To Table Season 3 Episode 5: "Picnic on the Ranch" on the Magnolia Network.