Tips: A small plastic sandwich bag can be used as a piping bag for putting the filling in the aebleskiver. Wooden skewers are a great tool to use to turn the aebleskiver. The leaves of rhubarb are poisonous, so do not include them in the filling.
Aebleskiver with Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
Special Equipment: aebleskiver pan, two wooden skewers or wooden knitting needles
Ingredients:For the Filling:
- ½ pound strawberries, trimmed and diced
- ¼ cup rhubarb, trimmed and diced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
For the Abeleskiver:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
For the Top:
Powdered sugar for dusting aebleskiver before serving
- For the filling: Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use a potato masher to crush any remaining pieces of fruit. Stir constantly for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool. The filling should be smooth in texture and will thicken as it cools. Once the filling has cooled, transfer it to a piping bag fitted with a medium-size open tip.
- For the aebleskiver: Separate the whites and yolks of the eggs and place them separately into two medium bowls. Beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Mix together the egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Carefully fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Preheat an aebleskiver pan on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to each well in the pan. The pan is hot enough when a drop of dough added to the oil makes a sizzling sound.
- With two spoons, add one tablespoon of batter to each well, followed by about a teaspoon of filling piped from the bag over the center of the batter. Add another tablespoon of batter on top of each one to cover the filling. After about 1 minute, check to see that the edges of the dough are golden brown. Use two skewers to turn each aebleskiver completely over in the well to cook the other side. Once the aebleskiver is golden brown on both sides, use skewers to turn the abelskiver over a little bit at a time to ensure each is evenly cooked. Test the center of each with a skewer — if the skewer comes out clean, the aebleskiver is ready. Continue with the remaining batter, remembering to add a teaspoon of oil to each well before making a new batch.
- Dust the aebleskiver with powdered sugar and serve with extra filling on the side.
Recipe first featured on Ranch To Table Season 4 Episode 3: "Brunch with the Boys" on the Magnolia Network.