Mocha Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Filling
Special Equipment: a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip
Recipe makes 12 whoopie pies (about 8 servings). Total time 2 hours (including chilling time). Active time 1 hour.
For the cakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling:
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, measured then sifted
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup unsalted creamy peanut butter
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the cakes: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Place the milk in a liquid measuring cup, add the vanilla extract, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the shortening and brown sugar. Cream for 1 minute on medium speed. Add the egg and continue to beat on medium speed for another minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then beat again to ensure that the mixture is fully combined.
- Turn the speed to low. Add half of the flour mixture to the mixer. Add half of the milk mixture and continue to mix on low speed. When just combined, add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, mixing for 3 minutes. The batter should be smooth and uniform in color.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop up equal amounts of cake batter and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 3 inches apart (see Cook’s Note). Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cakes spring back completely when lightly touched. Remove the pans from the oven. Use a metal spatula to transfer the cakes to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- For the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and peanut butter and beat on medium speed until fully combined. Add the powdered sugar and salt to the bowl and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl (use a whisk or a hand mixer) until the whites hold a stiff peak. Add the egg whites to the bowl of the stand mixer and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy. This should take 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- To assemble the pies, pipe a generous amount (2 to 3 tablespoons) of filling onto the flat side of one cooled cake, then cover with the flat side of a second cake to make a sandwich. Repeat with each pair of cakes. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic is airtight. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to overnight to firm the filling before serving.
Recipe first featured on Ranch To Table Season 4 Episode 8: "Whoopie!" on the Magnolia Network.
- Tags: Season 4