Special Equipment: eight 4-ounce ramekins.
Molten Chocolate Cakes
Recipe makes 8 servings. Total time 35 minutes, including cooling time. Active time 20 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the ramekins
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusing
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450°F. Use a paper towel to spread a generous, even layer of shortening and flour over the inside of each of eight 4-ounce ramekins. Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler. Mix to make sure that everything is completely melted and blended. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs for 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla. Whip on high speed until the mixture is frothy, pale in color, and beginning to thicken. Carefully fold in the flour, and then the chocolate mixture, until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins, being sure to distribute it equally. Bake for 8 minutes. You should be able to lightly touch the center of the cakes without getting any batter on your finger when they’re done. Remove from the oven and let rest for 1 minute. Use a thin, sharp knife to loosen the edges of each cake. Turn each ramekin over onto its own individual dessert plate. Let the ramekins sit upside down for 5 minutes before lifting to see if the cake has fallen out of the ramekin and onto the plate. If so, lift off the ramekins. If not, wait 2 to 3 more minutes and check again.
- Dust each cake with a small amount of sifted powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Recipe first featured on Ranch To Table Season 3 Episode 8: "Ranch Reunion" on the Magnolia Network.