I love making this Beet, Carrot, and Arugula Salad in the winter time and early spring because all these delicious root veggies are in season. I am always looking for new ways to add some greens and the arugula pairs so well with the beets and carrots.
For root veggies:
1 pound of beets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For salad and dressing:
- 8oz (½ pound) Arugula lettuce
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz Queso Fresco or any crumbly cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the beets and carrots on a baking sheet and toss them with ¼ cup of olive oil and salt. Then spread them out evenly over the baking sheet.
- Roast the beets and carrots in the oven for 35 minutes or until just fork tender.
- In a small jar mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mustard together.
- Toss dressing with arugula and place on a platter. Then place roasted beets and carrots on top. Finish with crumbled Queso Fresco.