Classic Strawberry Jam
Classic Strawberry Jam:
This is the most basic but a forever classic, strawberry jam recipe. I love making lots this season since the kids are huge fans and there is nothing like homemade jam ready and on hand.
- 4 cups of cut strawberries
- 4 cups of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Wash the strawberries, remove the tops, and cut them into quarters.
- Mix the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice, and set everything in fridge overnight.
- Put the mixture in heavy bottomed pot and slowly bring it to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- As the jam thickens, lower the heat, and stir more often to prevent sticking.
- The jam is ready to can when it slides off of a spoon in a sheet rather than dripping off.
- Turn off heat and ladle the hot jam into prepared canning jars. Leave ¼ inch of headspace.
- Process the jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Take out jars carefully and let sit for 24 hours so jam sets and lids seal.
Once you have mastered making traditional strawberry jam, it is fun to try adding an aromatic flavor by way of adding a few sprigs of an herb or a spice to infuse in the jam. For example, adding a split vanilla pod to the pot will give the jam a lovely vanilla bean flavor. Favorite herbs to add (only one kind per batch) are Bergamot mint and Lemon Verbena. Remove the stems and leaves before canning.
Hope to host you on the ranch soon!
Photographs by Blakeney Sanford