This has become a Ranch Table classic recipe. My dear friend, Katie Hames, baked this for our Paella Gathering and it was such a huge hit that we have added it to a few more events.
If possible, make a day or two ahead. Wrap cake in aluminum foil, store at room temperature.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- Scant ¾ cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 2 ½ cups freshly ground raw almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Zest and juice lemons, set aside.
- Grind almonds in a food processor until they are the texture of rough sand. Measure after grinding, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then beat in eggs one by one.
- Add both extracts.
- Mix in flour, ground almonds until fully incorporated.
- Add lemon zest and juice, beat for about 3 minutes.
- Pour into 8” round pan, bake for thirty minutes, then rotate pan and bake until golden brown. Test the center with a toothpick.
We then added a bit of whipped cream, honey and topped with fresh berries. It is the perfect way to end a meal.
Photograph by Blakeney Sanford